Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Me Too part three

Last month a guy I know was talking about women, and explaining how messed up he thought they were.  
He said to me “what is it with women, that after you fuck them, they start crying and telling you about how one time they got raped or something?  What the fuck?  Why tell you that shit then?”
I replied “Probably because if they felt safe enough to be intimate and have sex with you, they felt safe enough to tell you something traumatic and horrifying that happened to them.”
And he just laughed, and said that women are all the same, because some people are never going to get it.
BTW, I wasn’t shocked or taken aback, and had an answer ready, because this was not the first time I had heard some man say something like this, not by a long shot.  Being a guy, it is just assumed that I am in their horrible club.  
And yeah, this isn’t the way all men talk all the time.  But a lot of them do, and a lot of the guys standing around listening just agree or not say anything.  I don’t always say anything myself, it depends on the situation, or if I’m in the mood for a confrontation.  I might just want to get out of there, and the people talking are nobody I really know, or care to know.
But a lot of the time I do speak up, because that’s what you should do, if you can.  It’s the right thing to do.  I haven’t gotten beat up yet, or ostracized, or tarred and feathered.  You can say what’s right without being a jerk, and you can be clever with how you word stuff so you don’t end putting people on the offensive or wind up starting a war.  You can win the crowd over without someone even realizing that they are in a competition until it is too late.
You don’t have to be on a crusade 24/7, but you owe it to the women in your life to speak up for them if they aren’t there to do it themselves.  You owe it the guys you know to try to offer a different perspective that they may not have been lucky enough to have been shown to them by their parents or friends.  You owe it to humanity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment