Monday, February 4, 2019

Superbowl

!!! TRIGGER WARNING !!!

Honestly, there are things in here that will probably trigger everyone, and no one should read it at all. I could try to expand and explain my intentions and feelings about it, but why bother, I know that the whole thing will just come off mean spirited and bitter to those who disagree. Still, it's worth it for the five people or so who will get it, so precede at your own risk.

My thoughts on the Superbowl: I don't care that much about either team. I'm definitely not a Patriots fan, but the Rams mean nothing to me. I'll watch the game, off and on.
I don't care about the commercials. I think treating advertisements like art, and anything other than lame psychological warfare to separate you from your money, is counterintuitive to progress and a healthy society. The fact that people actually wait with anticipation to watch commercials is sad.
I don't care about the halftime show. Honestly, if you are a music fan, the halftime show is as far from what music should be about as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. It's like a band doing a medley of their hits on a variety show, synced up right down to the second to ensure nothing goes over the time allotted, and nothing spontaneous or exciting happens. You want to experience a band? Go see them live, where they can do what they want. The halftime show is spectacle, not art.
The NFL itself has become a joke. The majority of their workforce is black, yet it is run by rich old white guys who are angry when their workers speak up about inequality. Most of their fan base is a bunch of white people who have been duped into thinking that kneeling before a game is some sort of insult to veterans or police officers. Other fans are full of conspiracy theories about paid off officials, and manipulation by the league to get certain teams to the Superbowl or covering point spreads. Some people are blathering on about boycotting the game because of a bad call, or bad non call, to be precise. Who gives a fuck? Bad calls happen every game, that's the breaks.
The sad truth is, sports attracts a lot of morons. Jock culture is disgusting, and a huge portion of sports fans are just idiots. There's nothing wrong with sports and athletes, but there is a whole lot wrong with the culture surrounding them. Parents fighting at their kids matches, fans beating each other up in bars and parking lots, rioting when your team wins, or doesn't win, people obsessed to the point that being a fan of a certain team is what defines them. It's just ridiculous. Sports is entertainment, a distraction, it shouldn't be an obsession. It's just a game, full of arbitrary rules and stature and rewards, that ultimately really means nothing; but still there are idiots that who will waste their lives and alienate their loved ones over it. If any of that offends you, you might just be one of those idiots.
So I guess if I had to pick who I want to win, it would actually be the Patriots. Looking at it objectively, I figure that I'm witnessing one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game, and one of the greatest coaches and dynasties. In a way, they represent some things I hate, but fuck it, it's just a stupid exhibition, and none of it really means anything anyway. If it turns out that they are cheaters and frauds, that's cool, too. Then I can say I got to live during one of the worst scandals in sports history, so let's make it a good one, full of hurt feelings and misery!
Hopefully it will be a fun and exciting game, and there are no horrific injuries. Mostly though, I hope that there's some bad call, or some really stupid play, or anything really that results in a whole off season of people crying and yelling and complaining. The thing I like most is listening to people complain endlessly about the thing they say they love. They threaten to stop watching, they threaten to protest, they scream about boycotts and revenge and change, yet they are right back there when the season starts. I love the taste of people's salty tears when they pout like babies over something that ultimately means nothing, and the rest of their life burns away like a dumpster fire.
Now that's entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment