Monday, February 4, 2019

Cynical Me

Some of you might have noticed that I've been embracing my cynicism a little more the last couple of weeks. Don't worry, I'm not becoming a curmudgeon, and by that I mean that I have been a curmudgeon since I was a toddler. But I'm not getting bitter, or trying to shit on anyone's good time, I just think critical thinking and questioning what we see is a good thing.
I think the world has gotten so far away from that, and simply accepts what is put in front of them, and that's one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in. Journalists used to call politicians out on their bullshit on a daily basis, and laugh them out of the room, but now buffoons and crooks like Trump and McConnell are treated as legitimate leaders. There used to be critics who were actually critical of books and movies and shows, but now there are so many outlets for reviews and takes on things that you simply have to do a quick internet search to find some site that agrees with you rather than challenge you. It's so much easier to go along with the crowd, and that has become even more convenient in this day and age. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good, and just because you like someone doesn't mean that everything they do is great.
It's that way with everything now. Nothing is wrong, nothing is bad, nothing is questioned, if you know where to look. You don't like what one person is telling you, take to the internet and find a bunch who will. We find outlets and people who simply reinforce what we want to believe, rather than offer you an impartial viewpoint that might not go along with whatever bubble you have settled into. Everything that's even a little important in life is complex, and you aren't going to just find any simple solutions or answers. If you think you have, chances are you're not really comprehending the problem, or you are being lied to and manipulated.
So yeah, I'm going to call bullshit out when I see it, and I'm going to have an opinion, even if it isn't the one you're looking for. You can have an opinion as well, but just make sure that it's your opinion, and not some soundbite or propaganda from one source. I have always been open to debate and different opinions, but be forewarned: I don't have to agree with them, or even respect them, and you shouldn't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment